thursday night open water sessions - key info
WE ARE BACK UP AND RUNNING FOR THE SUMMER SEASON – read all the info below, and book the session on clubspark!
The BRAT Club are delighted to be returning to the Upper Bittell reservoir, and Barnt Green Sailing Club, for Thursday night Open Water Swimming for the summer season. This session is entirely run by BRAT members and volunteers, and is only open to current BRAT members.
During the summer – from mid May until early September – we offer open water swimming from 18:00 to 19:30 on Thursdays at Barnt Green Sailing Club at Upper Bittell Reservoir. Bittell is a beautiful nature reserve, and a fantastic place to swim. We are very privileged to have access to this venue. We have a 500m loop set up on the reservoir, and the sessions are open for 90 minutes – 18:00-19:30. Swimmers can do as much or as little as they wish.
- Sessions are only open to current BRAT members – please join the club on Clubspark prior to attending.
- Sessions are £6, paid in advance on Clubspark. Parking is free. Please note – we do not issue refunds. There is plenty of capacity at this session so please only book a slot when you are sure you will be attending.
- The session is held at Upper Bittell Reservoir, Cofton Church Lane, B45 8BH.
- Please click here for a map of the swim course.
- Changing facilities, toilets and hot showers are available in the clubhouse.
- Car park is on the left as you drive in – please do not park under the trees on the right of the drive.
- All sessions will be pre-booked on Clubspark prior to arriving. No bookings are accepted at the session itself. All info about Clubspark and membership can be found on the training page.
- All available sessions will be visible on Clubspark. If a session has to be cancelled at short notice for any reason, members will be informed via Clubspark and Facebook.
- Wetuits must be worn. If a swimmer wishes to swim without a wetsuit, this must be agreed with the session administrator and the swimmer must wear a tow float (which they will provide)
- Bring a bright swim cap.
By booking a session with us, you agree that you have read and understood the information in Swimmer Responsibility Statement.
To join BRAT, visit our ClubSpark site and register.
The session is lifeguarded by an Open Water Qualified lifeguard and supported by a safety powerboat and spotter.
Before entering the water, you will be issued with a wristband for the session, which must be returned immediately you exit the water.
You must follow the designated course and obey the lifeguard and boat driver’s instructions at all times.
Every swimmer must read the Swimmers’ Responsibility Statement before attending.
Please click here for our Emergency Action Plan
Session times and dates:
- We are aiming to start from 18th May and run weekly until the beginning of September. Sessions are 18:00- 19:30. As this is a volunteer led session, there may be occasions where we do not have the requisite people to run the session (particularly lifeguards!) If you would like to support the session by volunteering, please contact Chris Davy (club Chairman) on firstname.lastname@example.org. Sessions are 18:00- 19:30.